COVID-19 Ready Workplace
COVID-19 Ready Workplace
Temescal Works has been reimagined to be your COVID-19 ready workplace. We are meeting all the requirements for the new normal as they develop, and have gone the extra mile to welcome you back with added peace of mind.
Temescal Works follows the Site-Specific Protection Plan (SPP) per the Alameda County Health Officer. All applicable state and federal guidelines are being followed. Examples of measures we are adopting are described below.
- Minimum 6′ distance between people waiting to enter the building.
- Mask required to enter.
- Temperature check of everyone entering with a simple, no-touch thermometer. If over 100.4°F, you will be asked to postpone your visit.
- Symptom check required. If you have had any of the following symptoms in the previous 14 days, or been in contact with someone who has, you will be asked to postpone your visit:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- All enclosed private spaces equipped with circulating air purifier with True HEPA filter and internal UV light. 3 Levels of Purification:
- UV sterilization: Exposing bacteria, viruses and protozoa to UV light renders them incapable of reproducing and infecting.
- True HEPA filter: Captures particulate matter down to 0.3 microns.
- Activated carbon: Removes certain gases and odors from the air.
- Oxidization units added to all HVAC units and HVAC filters upgraded to recommended MERV-13 rating.
- New HVAC protocols adopted for different weather conditions to maintain steady air flows and to steadily replenish indoor air with outside air.
- Air quality is an understandable concern in the COVID-19 era. Temescal Works has put together an HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) protocol based on Position Documents put out by the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
and discussions with our HVAC contractor. Please read about our findings and HVAC protocols here.
- Masks required in all areas accept in private enclosed spaces. If you forget your mask, one will be provided.
- Temescal Works team members will wear masks.
- Maintain a minimum 6′ distance from others, wherever possible.
- Sneeze and cough into a tissue or your elbow.
- No hand shaking or engaging in unnecessary physical contact.
Design Modifications for a COVID-19 Ready Workplace
- 6′ wide pathways throughout the space. Most pathways are in a single direction.
- Visual cues (signage and markings) to encourage physical distancing and safe practices.
- Dedicated desk seats spaced 6′ apart or separated with protective screens.
- Staggered seats and protective screens at drop-in workstations create physical separation.
- Fewer dedicated desks and drop-in workstations.
- Fewer seats in meeting rooms and common areas.
- Touchless faucets and soap dispensers in restrooms.
Disinfecting & Hygiene
- Enhanced overnight disinfection by contracted cleaning crew.
- Disinfectant supplies and hand sanitizers in all common areas.
- Tissue dispensers available throughout the space to avoid touching common surfaces.
- Disposable workstation placemats available.
- Use of kitchen is limited to one person at a time.
- Washable mugs, dishes and cutlery are available.
- Single-use compostable cups, plates and utensils also available.
- Refrigerator is available for use, but no overnight storage. Food brought in your own cooler is strongly encouraged.
- Density has been reduced so attendees can sit 6′ apart.
- Each meeting room equipped with circulating air purifier with True HEPA filter and internal UV light.
- Protective screens available for added peace of mind (just ask!).
Private Phone Booths
- Equipped with circulating air purifier with True HEPA filter and internal UV light.
- Disinfectant supplies are available for use in each booth.
Frequently Asked Questions in the COVID-19 Era
Is there a screening process for entry?
Every member, guest or meeting room attendee must have their temperature taken and symptoms checked. Unless the screening gives an “all clear”, you will be asked to postpone your visit.
Do I have to answer the symptom check questions each time I enter the building?
No. Members will be asked to sign the COVID-19 Addendum to the Membership Agreement before re-entering the building post Shelter-in-Place. Your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions include:
YOUR SYMPTOM-FREE ASSURANCE: Each time you enter the building, have your temperature checked and pass the screening desk, you assure Temescal Works and your coworkers that in the last 14 days you have not had any of the symptoms or been in contact with someone who has. If you cannot make this assurance, we will ask you to postpone your visit to Temescal Works.
Do I have to wear a mask?
Masks must be worn at all times, including at workstations and common areas such as the kitchen, restrooms, and along paths of travel. Exceptions are in private enclosed spaces, where masks are not required but recommended.
What safety measures are in effect?
We have de-densified the workspace and setup protective screens, enhanced cleaning measures, provided disinfectant supplies and hand sanitizers in all common areas, and established guidelines for safe practices.
How is the air quality?
New systems have been established and new operating protocols adopted for improved air quality in the COVID-19 era. Oxidization units have been added to all HVAC units in the building and filters on the HVAC units have been upgraded to the recommended MERV-13 rating.
The oxidization units kill 99% of bacteria, mold and viruses and emit zinc ions that kill 99% of viruses on surfaces. New operating protocols deploy the systems in the building in different configurations depending on weather conditions to steadily bring in outdoor air and extract indoor air to maintain a steady flow of fresher air while killing 99% of viruses in the ambient air in the building.
Are precautions taken in private spaces and meeting rooms?
Each space has a circulating air purifier system with True HEPA filter and internal UV light. Density has been reduced for physical distancing and protective screens are available — just ask!
What kind of precautions are taken in private phone booths?
Booths are equipped with circulating air purifiers with True HEPA filter and internal UV light. Disinfectant supplies are available for use in each booth.
Is there coffee service?
Self-service coffee is available. Please BYOC — bring your own creamer.
Are dishes and utensils provided?
Yes! Washable mugs, dishes and cutlery are available. Single-use compostable cups, plates and utensils also available.
Is there a refrigerator I can use?
Yes, but there is no overnight storage. We strongly encourage members and visitors to bring food in your own cooler.
Is there a common dining area?
Unfortunately not at this time. In order to maintain physical distancing, some kitchen amenities, such as coffee service, have now been moved to the dining area, and dining table and chairs removed.
Are you providing COVID-19 tests?
At present there are not enough tests to even meet the needs of first responders and critical clusters of vulnerable people. As a result, Temescal Works doesn’t have access to tests. We can provide a list of nearby locations where tests are available. As more testing capacity becomes available, and tests become available that don’t require sophisticated training or equipment, we may be able to offer tests for our members.
Are you participating in COVID-19 contact tracing?
Counties are building up their capacity to trace people who have been in contact with or close to people who are found to have COVID-19. As more becomes known about the contact tracing program in Alameda County, Temescal Works will evaluate whether there is a useful role we can provide.